Tuesday, April 3, 2007

book recommendation

I just finished reading a book that I wanted to pass along to you. This is actually the second time that I have read it, and it was an encouragement the second time around as much as it was the first.

Jennifer Saake, who began the online ministry known as Hannah's Prayer Ministry, is the author of Hannah's Hope, a book full of biblical encouragement for couples going through the difficult hardships of infertility, miscarriage, and/or adoption loss. While perfectly able to sympathize with her readers (Saake is no stranger to any three of the above mentioned hardships), she also points those who are traveling similar paths to Christ for identity, hope, comfort, and security. There is also a section at the end of every chapter for "Burden Bearers", those who may not have ever experienced any difficulty in trying to grow a family but who know someone who has. What an insightful section to include after each chapter! There are also suggestions on how to start support groups within churches, how to cope during family related holidays or events (like Mother's and Father's Day, baby showers, baby dedications, etc.), and how to conquer bitterness that so often seems to take root in many people who are battling infertility. I feel as though I could have penned some of Saake's thoughts at times.





I strongly recommend this book if you are struggling to start a family (whether by conception or adoption). I also recommend Saake's web ministry at www.hannah.org. There you will find resources as well as forums where people are encouraging, supportive, and most likely are walking in your shoes.

I think I made a similar post on my last infertility-related blog that I shut down. So, if this is a repeat, just bear with me. :)

xoxo,

-glenna-

1 comment:

Connie said...

Forgive me, this is "off" topic. I've "tagged" you as a "Thinking Blogger" because I've enjoyed reading how the Lord is molding and refining you through the trial of infertility.

You may not care to participate in this meme, but I wanted you to know that I consider your posts very thought provoking, and I appreciate how you strive to be Biblically sound.

You can read more here, http://practicingtheology.blogspot.com/2007/04/thinking-blogger-award.html