Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Words that Comfort

I have been thinking a lot about the words to John Newton's hymn "Help My Unbelief." I need the grace and help to believe even the most basic of truths. As I am waiting still, here are the words that are a comfort to me:

I know the Lord is nigh, and would but cannot pray
For Satan meets me when I try and frights my soul away, and frights my soul away.
I would but can't repent, though I endeavor oft;
This stony heart can ne'er relent till Jesus makes it soft, till Jesus makes it soft.
Help my unbelief, help my unbelief, help my unbelief. My help must come from Thee.

I would but cannot love, though wooed by love divine;
No arguments have pow'r to move a soul so base as mine, a soul as base as mine.
I would but cannot rest, in God's most holy will;
I know what He appoints is best, and murmur at it still, I murmur at it still.
Help my unbelief, help my unbelief, help my unbelief. My help must come from Thee.

Words: John Newton, 1725-1807
Refrain: Clint Wells, 2005
You can hear a clip of this song here.

I love the line "I know what He appoints is best and murmur at it still." How true! I know that what He has appointed for my life is what is truly best and what will bring Him most glory. He is sovereign over my fertility (or lack thereof!) and He is good, even in His possible "no". I'm praying for faith to keep on believing that He is good, that His possible "no" is still a good gift.

-glenna-

3 comments:

Fertilize Me said...

I'mnew to your blog. (but not to Infertility) Nice to read your words. I am preparing for an IUI as soon as my period arrives

Ranelle said...

I'm still praying....

andrea_jennine said...

What a beautiful hymn!