Thursday, September 6, 2007

second verse, same as the first.

Clomid, Round #2, and maybe an IUI.

Today I started popping pills again. Our hopes of possibly conceiving "on our own" came to a dismal ending over Labor Day. I talked with my doctor's office when renewing my prescriptions, and I asked about a different form of ovulation detection such as sonograms. Basically I was told, I "must have a positive OPK" for them to do the IUI. They don't measure follicles and all that jazz at their office, and understandably so--they are an OBGYN office, not a Reproductive Endrocrinologist/Infertility Clinic. Still....bummer. I know my body doesn't respond to those tests. We'll try it, but bar a miraculous occurance, I'm thinking we won't get to the IUI this cycle either. Which leads me to the next question....what next? Go to St. Louis to the infamous Dr. Paneda?

Maybe. We'll cross that bridge if and when we come to it. Anyway, I take my regular 5 day dose of Clomid followed by 5 days of Estradiol, and I am going to use a Progesterone gel that my doctor prescribed--which I'm not really sure what it does, and it's not clinically proven to help, but some people find it effective (for what, I wonder?). Still, it can't hurt anything and even though it's amazingly expensive (and no, my insurance covers NONE of this, in case you were wondering), we'd like to give it a try on what might be a our last shot, at least with this doctor.

You can pray for us, of course. I appreciate all the sweet comments I've received from old friends and new. We are in a season of doubt, I think. Not that God CAN do this...of course He CAN. But, we struggle to understand why He seemingly won't do it. It comes back to our belief in His sovereignty, and maybe we are just weary. I think that's it: weary. There are some other things in our life unrelated to infertility that are wearing us down day by day....I think it's too much sometimes. But, this is what the Lord has appointed, so we lean on Him to carry us through.

I may not be updating as much as I did last cycle. I need a break.

Love,
-glenna-

6 comments:

Fertilize Me said...

I don't know if that progesterone statement was rhetorical but I figured I would give you some unsolicated advice - and I am sorry if i should not have offered advice, I really just wanted to offer up the answer my dr gave me when I asked about Progest. so here it goes:

There are two hormones produced by the ovaries during ovulation: oestradiol and progesterone. Together, these two hormones create conditions which assist in fertilization. Progesterone causes the abrupt change in the mucus which occurs immediately after ovulation and defines the Peak symptom. This makes fertilizing more likely, and allows the semen to survive longer than it would anywhere else. Progesterone also prepares for implantation of the fertilized ovum.

Progesterone also forestalls the shedding of the endometrium (where implantation occurs), helping to prevent miscarriage in the early weeks of pregnancy. progesterone is also responsible for the increase in body temperature at ovulation that lasts through most of the luteal phase.

Fertilize Me said...

*and saying prayers for you

andrea_jennine said...

"For you, O God, have tested us; you have tried us as silver is tried; you brought us into the net; you laid a crushing burden on our backs; you let men ride over our heads; we went through fire and through water; yet you have brought us to a place of abundance." Ps. 66:10-13

I pray that the Lord will refresh you, even as he leads you through this trial. I really hope the OPKs work for you this time around.

Melanie said...

i don't even know how i found your blog--i just stumbled upon it but i just wanted you to know my heart goes out to you and william. i know this is an incredibly difficult season for you. we will definitely keep you in our prayers. we love you guys.

gracechild said...

His strength is made perfect in your weakness Glenna. Do not become weary of doing good. I will be praying for you & the perfection of God's work in your life.

Anonymous said...

We need an update!