Monday, November 12, 2007

Taking a Break

I have made an executive decision to take a break over the holidays. I can't imagine taking a real break, but in relation to this blog and to paying attention to details, I think I may take a few steps back. Focusing on all of this is hard on a day to day basis, but it is highlighted especially over the holidays when we see family and friends, when we see how other friends' children have grown, when we have to explain why we haven't pursued adoption or more in-depth fertility treatments when we've planned to do so in the past......and given that this is our fourth time through the holidays while trying to conceive, all of this becomes harder and harder each year. During the holidays we see people we haven't seen since last Christmas, and there is always the inevitable question "so, how are things with trying to get pregnant?" As if I want to discuss that over Christmas dinner!!

So, in honor of taking a break, I get to honestly tell people "I don't know. So, how are YOU doing?" when I get the "how's the baby thing going?" question.

We are hoping to get an appointment with an RE in St. Louis in January (or thereabout). That's all I can tell you, especially since I haven't actually picked up the phone and called said RE. But, maybe that will take some pressure off of our current au natural cycles, and I guess I can add that to my answer to the inevitable baby question.

Does anyone ever think they just can't do this "trying to get pregnant thing" anymore??

Hello, cycle 43. I'm not real happy to see you.

5 comments:

Fertilize Me said...

giving you a hug

andrea_jennine said...

I pray that your break is full of rest and peace. The holidays are hard, but you can make it through if you fix your eyes on the Savior.

misawa said...

"...so, how are things with trying to get pregnant?"

This is a question asked by a person who obviously is just trying to play nice or make conversation. Honestly, when this question pops in to their little brain, couldn't they just try to take it a step farther; it's either 1) bad, in which case it'd be better to talk about something else, like war, chlamydia, or torture; or 2) it's good, in which case s/he would have already known and wouldn't have asked such a question in the first place.

My wife and I went through so many of those questions (though under different context than yours) that one day, I had enough - when asked, "when are ya'll having kids" I turned and looked at my wife and said (at church), "How about now? Fancy a shag?" :-D

Enjoy this break, Glenna.

gracechild said...

"i'm not sure i can continue like this" is the twin brother of "but i want a baby". They normally walk hand in hand in my mind. I pray you really have a good unspoilt season. I pray that God will keep the insensitive questioners far from you.

Amanda said...

Hi from London :) I am de-lurking to wish you well and thank you for sharing your life with those like myself who need someone to relate to with infertility.

Hang in there,
Amanda
http://londonsouthernbelle.typepad.com/baby_roulette/