Friday, January 25, 2008

Perspective

In another post I will address the specifics of our doctor's appointment. The death of a friend has largely overshadowed our grief. And yet....has also spurred us on to live the time that we have for the glory of God. Strangely, two unrelated events: Amber's death and the grief of possibly never conceiving...these two things coupled together have put our hearts in a place of peace and grace even though we grieve. Can these things be possible at the same time? Grief and joy? Suffering and rejoicing? I believe so.

As Amber said to me in an email a couple of months ago:
I believe He will make your path clear to you in His time. I know you believe that too. Isn't it solid rest to trust in a living God who loves His children so perfectly?

Just a short post to let you know that we are okay. I know from your emails and calls that our friends and family have worried for us. We have wept and mourned, and...praised the Lord. He gives and takes away. Blessed be the name of the Lord.


Father,
We step out in faith. We entrust ourselves to You--You who hold the stars in place and sing over Your children. You, who hurt when we hurt, who catch our tears and bottle them. We trust that Your "no" is Your most excellent way. Thank You for encircling us in Your love.
Your grace is still enough.


-glenna-

5 comments:

Hope said...

I am so sorry for your loss, but what peace is received when we know that the one who past is a child of the King. Your prayer was so touching and your words brought tears to my eyes but joy to my heart.

Praying for you,

Hope

andrea_jennine said...

Yes, suffering & rejoicing, grief & joy do seem to mingle together in God's economy. Seeking to do both myself right now...

melanie said...

glenna, i know we don't know each other that well but i just wanted to let you know that i am grieving with you. i don't understand God's ways at all--it can be so frustrating. but i do believe he has given you your desire to be a parent so i pray that you see the fruit of that desire soon. a friend of mine has a blog on adoption if you want to check it out sometime (voicelessorphans.blogspot.com). we will keep you both in our prayers.

Michael and Carrie said...

Glenna-I'm so sorry to hear that your appointment did not go well. I remember having a similar appointment and not knowing what to do next. I do remember how God provided peace for us just as He has done for you all. It always brings peace to my heart to acknowledge His control over all things, even when we don't understand what is going on around us. Some verses that have helped me are Isaiah 31:8 and John 16:33. Please feel free to contact me anytime if you want to talk. You all are in our prayers.

We also learned of Amber's death last week and could not believe it. She was in my first Life group at UU the first year I was a leader. I cannot imagine the grief that her family must be experiencing right now, but I know she is with Jesus now...

allison rasnic said...

glenna
i am sorry to hear that things didn't go well with your appointment. i have thought of you a lot over the last week...you have been in my prayers. i heard something on the radio the other day that i thought may encourage you. i was listening to k love and the host of the afternoon was sharing how she and her husband had been married for twenty years and unable to conceive. they even went though a difficult adoption situation that didn't work out. all this to say that after twenty years of grieving over never having children, they conceived their first child and she is currently pregnant with their second child. just a reminder that our God is almighty and sovereign...continue to trust and persevere.