Saturday, February 9, 2008

Getting Started

I filled out our adoption pre-application yesterday! We have decided on our agency, and we are thrilled to find that Bethany has opened an office a mere 30 minutes from our house as opposed to the 2 hours we had expected to drive.

In addition to that, we were told by our church that they wanted to collect money on a weekly basis to put into an adoption fund for us...until it is PAID OFF!!!!!!!! We were floored by this announcement! I can't begin to explain how overwhelmed we are by this gift, this $20,000 gift! I had wondered where the money was going to come from, but every time I prayed about it, I really felt that God would provide. How He has answered our prayer!! I still can't quite verbalize how blessed we feel, and in fact are. As a pastor and his wife, this means more to us than we can express.

So, what's next?

Well, we have a meeting with the social worker next week. She will give us a presentation with all of the information about the agency, and she will take our pre-application. Then, we wait for approval, which I am hoping won't take long. Then we get into the formal application which is much longer and very detailed, with essay questions! (cracks knuckles) I'm ready! Let's put this English/Creative Writing degree to work! :)

I'll update as we move through the paperwork and into our homestudy.

As far as the emotional response of switching gears to adoption from trying to conceive, it has been....fine. I mean, the stress relief has been wonderful. I haven't worried about timing, temping, counting days, worring about caffiene intake, or anything. That's not to say that we will not try to get pregnant anymore. I think we always will. But, the pressure of making the most of every month seems to have left the forefront of my mind. I'm excited about adoption, really! Once we have stepped forward, I doubt we will look back with regret. I had to come to a point where I asked myself, "Do you want to be pregnant or do you want to be a mother?" You know what my answer is. And through adoption, I can be a mom and my sweet husband can be the great father I know he will be. I am thankful that God has given us grace sufficient to handle the blow of infertility, and that He is blessing us with the grace to move forward with adoption. He is faithful!!

XOXOXO,
-glenna-

12 comments:

Susan Wyatt said...

Glenna,

I've read the past two posts on adoption from this blog and your other, my heart is full of joy and excitement for you and William. I'm encouraged by your encouragement and faith and complete trust in God as he chooses his way to build your family. Can't wait to journey along with you guys praying and reading your updates.

PS.. love the new look of the blog. I don't see it much because I use Google Reader.

Jon said...

Excellent news!

Jon

andrea_jennine said...

Very exciting stuff! I love seeing the body of Christ at work in that way.

Missy Beutler said...

so happy for you! our son was adopted through bethany! :)

Amy R. Maxwell said...

Indeed, what a blessing that your church family is going to help with the adoption costs. BJ and I rejoice with you! Praise God from whom ALL blessings flow!

We are excited to see how the Lord is going to transform your home and hearts in the coming months and years.

We love you guys!

Trusting in His perfect will,
Amy

Lena said...

Hi! I have been reading your blog- and I really relate to some of your feelings! My name is Lena Toews, my husband and I struggle with secondary infertlity. We are in very much in a similar place as you. doing one last cycle before possible pursuing adoption.
I blog as well if you want to check it... God bless as you start your adoption process!

Lena said...

In response to your comment- my blogger layouts are for the new blogger beta (not classic)
You are totally welcome to use them- I have the posted for free.

Lena said...

oh and BTW I am totally fine with you adding me to your blogroll- I will do the same!

Jenny said...

Glenna, you and William encourage me so much in the Lord. Thank you for your honesty and openness about your struggles- it encourages me to be transparent too.

I am uber excited about you guys adopting :) You will be AWESOME parents

Bonnie said...

What a excited time for you! I am struggling with this transition so much. We keep saying we're ready to move towards adoption, but I can't get over the desire to carry my own. I really appreciate your question, "Do i want to be be pregnant or be a mother?" I'm not ready to answer that question for myself yet, but I'm praying for God's wisdom! I can't wait to read about your journey and gain more encouragement!

Hope said...

Nice to hear you are moving forward with your dreams and how wonderful of your church. All of this is excellent and fills my heart.

Charne Trollip said...

To God be the Glory!! how amazing is God organizing and arranging that the church will arrange for the adoption payment!

I hope your wait is short and you have your little miracle soon

xxx