Sunday, May 11, 2008

::a Mother's Day to remember::

For the past five years, Mother's Day has been a painful reminder of our infertility. As we waited and prayed, this holiday (while I was thankful for my mom!!) always struck a painful chord in my heart.

This year...it's different.

For the first time, this day did not bring any hurt with it. Instead, my heart was full of excitement about our upcoming adoption.

::

When I woke William up this morning to get ready for church, he surprised me with my first Mother's Day gift. He pulled out a Mother's Day card and a onesie that we had registered for. He wanted to acknowledge that I am a mom-to-be and to celebrate our "paper pregnancy" as many people refer to the adoption process. It will not surprise you that I was in tears in a matter of seconds!! As I clung to my dear husband's arms, tears of hope and thankfulness streamed down my face.

I am blessed beyond belief.




The onesie says "Party at my crib 2 a.m."


A glimpse of the nursery.



I spend a few minutes in this room every day, sitting in my rocker and praying for our baby, the birth mom, and us as future parents. It is SUCH a relief to have hope for our future.

My last homestudy meeting is on Tuesday. We submitted our profile on Friday; the social worker says it all looks good. She has a potential match for us!! We are super excited. All our friends and family are planning showers for us--it's SO strange being on the receiving end of all of this!! So far, there are 5 showers on the roster!! We are blessed.

I hope you are all hanging in there on this day that can be so difficult for those of us who are infertile or who have recurrent pregnancy loss. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

After my husband (who is the pastor) had all the moms stand while he prayed over them, the teenage son of a good friend of mine leaned over to his mom and said, "This is the last year Ms. Glenna won't get to stand during this time."
I LOVE that our church, family, and friends are so excited for us!!!

Personally, I can't say enough how blessed I feel--how markedly different this day feels for me than it has for the past few years. The Lord has been abundantly good to me...I do NOT deserve it.

XOXOX,
glenna

12 comments:

The Curly One said...

best of luck to you :)

erin said...

I have been thinking of you today, and I'm so glad that this Mother's Day is one of hope and anticipation. The nursery looks great, and that onesie is adorable! I'm truly so thrilled for you and William.

Hope said...

I was so glad to see your post. Reading it brought tears to my eyes, happy tears that this is the first of many mother's days for you!!

Your sweet husband was so thoughtful. I am so very excited for you. Your hope is infectious!

Mama Bear said...

I love your nursery!! wow a potential match already!! that is exciting -- and yeah I hope you are ready for the 2:am parties! we have had several of those - actually just the other night - ya know one of the party to you puke kind! lol!

Becky said...

I spent a good part of today praying for all the women that find this day so very difficult. What a joy to read of the wonderful day that you had! What a dear, sweet husband!
The nursery is wonderful...very gender neutral since you won't know!
I remember doing the same thing before the adoption of both of my children...sitting in the room praying, every day!
After dealing with infertility, the 2:00 a.m. parties are so much sweeter and you don't care AT ALL!!
Blessings!! So excited for what God has in store for you!!

Alex & Jill said...

What a sweet thing for your husband to do! I started tearing up just reading about your day.

The nursery looks great and I can't wait to see pics of your little one in there as well!

Praying for you guys and the whole adoption process...

Elaine said...

Glenna,
You have the paper pregnancy glow! I am so excited for you, and unbelievably thankful that this day didn't hurt so much. You are going to be such a wonderful Mommy to a very lucky little baby.
Very inspirational post!

In Search of Morning Sickness said...

You have a precious husband and church.... I just loved those pictures.

You know, I want to tell you that your heart in all this adoption journey has been the most beautiful gem to get a glimpse of. I have seen you transform even just online, I can't imagine what it appears like in person. You more than anyone else have softened and excited my heart about the adoption option that awaits us in the future sometime. Thank you for your humility, honesty, and for being an example of Christ's work in your life.

Anonymous said...

I stumbled on your blog and I just want to say that you have an amazing husband. I am excited for you that next mother's day will be a wonderful and joyous occasion.
I love the nursery and any little boy or girl will be so greatful to have such a wonderful loving home.

Eric and Emily B. said...

I love the nursery!! I can't wait to see whether you'll be getting a girl or a boy!!

Gretchen said...

I was so happy to read that your mother's day was exciting and about your impending match. My prayers are with you that the process keeps along at a speedy, and you will have your child in your arms very soon.

Alison said...

As I sit here unable to hold back tears from reading your post and with such a heavy, heavy heart, you bring me hope. I can barely feel it but it is there and I am so thankful, thankful for you and your post and the honor I have to read it. Thank you.