Thursday, March 28, 2013

Telling the Story--part 2

Our new album "Love & Family" is ordered in such a way as to tell a story about our life together as a family.  The next several blog posts will serve as a catalyst for telling that story so that you can see what is behind each song that we wrote.  Don't forget--you can order our album here: http://williamandglennamarshall.bandcamp.com/

"As Real as It is Strong"
(words and music by William Marshall)

-from William-
One thing that irks me a bit is the overuse of certain lines in songs about relationships (read 'love songs').  Particular genres of music (I'm looking at you, CMT) seem to struggle with this more than others, but across the board, it is common to hear lines about how far someone would walk or swim or climb to be with their significant other.  And I get it.  We use the language to symbolize how much we care.  My problem, aside from the overuse issue, is that the statements are not very realistic.  We just can't really walk that far or swim that much or climb that high.  And, even if we could, why would we ever need to actually do that?  It sounds good (and for the record I enjoy many songs that have used these tactics), but it's just not that real.

If marriage has taught me anything, it has taught me that love, true love between a man and a woman (there's my statement for the Supreme Court), is real.  It's not about thousand mile walks or ocean swims.  It's about getting up every day and loving your wife in real, practical ways.  It's about going to work and mowing the yard and trying to fix stuff (which I normally make worse).  It's about praying for her and asking for her forgiveness and trying to do better.  It's about listening and responding.  It's about learning how to love her better every day.  (Even as I write that, I am convicted about how much more I need to learn what I should probably already know.)

Trouble is, most love songs let me off the hook a little.  As long as I am willing to walk some unbelievable distance that I will never be asked to actually walk, I am fine.  I can talk a good game and never have to take a shot (had to work in my NCAA analogy, GO VOLS, at least next year).

So I wanted to write a song that celebrates the 'realness' of love.  I wanted to encourage myself to not take the easy way out, but to really work for and enjoy the every day blessings of marriage.   I may never be asked to lay down my life for my wife, but I am called to deny myself and take up my cross daily.  I am called to labor in fighting for her sanctification in the day to day battles of life.  I am called to treasure every day, every moment, as a gift.  These callings are way more difficult, and way more important and real, than climbing any mountains or swimming any seas.

-william-



No comments: